This is a great side dish for summertime meals and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
4 pounds yellow squash, sliced
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
1 cup (4-ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped chives
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp fresh ground, black pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 & 1/2 cups soft, fresh bread crumbs, divided
1 & 1/4 cups (5 ounces) freshly shredded parmesan cheese
2 tbl butter
1. Prehea t oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch casserole.
2. Cook yellow squash and onion in boiling water in boiling water, for 8 minutes, or just until tender. Drain well.
3. Combine squash/onion mixture, cheddar cheese, chives, sour cream, garlic salt, pepper, the eggs, 1 cup of the breadcrumbs, and 3/4 cup of the parmesan cheese.
4. In medium bowl, combine melted butter, the remaining 1 & 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs, and the remaining 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over the top of the casserole.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until set.