I don't know about you, but I love this type of bread...so rich and satisfying. This recipe is very easy (the way I like all the recipes I come across), but it's sooo good.
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup date pieces
3/4 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
3 cup flour
1 tbl baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 & 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 & 1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9x5x3 loaf pan.
2. Pour boiling water on raisins and let stand 10 minutes (to plump). Drain well, then mix date pieces with the raisins, and add the nuts.
3. In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the brown sugar and the fruit mixture and mix well.
4. In small bowl, beat egg into the milk and add to flour mixture.
5. Pour into greased loaf pan and let stand 15 minutes. Then put in oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool before removing bread from pan.
***serve with butter or cream cheese