What a great twist on a favorite sandwich. Very popular, very easy!
1 pound thick sliced bacon
2 large heads romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and cut into bite size pieces (about 16 cups)
3 large ripe tomatoes (about 1 & 1/2 pounds)
1 cup whipped salad dressing or mayo
1 tsp salt free seasoning mix
homemade croutons or store bought
1. I like to make my own croutons (adds a taste of toast like from a BLT sandwich) by toasting medium sized cubes of regular or sourdough bread , in olive oil with a little garlic...then set aside
2. Cook bacon in large skilleet about 6 minutes, until crispy, then drain on paper towels. When cool, crumble.
3. Place half of the lettuce in a 14 to 16 cup salad or trifle bowl. Sprinkle half of the tomato pieces and half of the crumbled bacon over the lettuce. Spread half of the croutons over top. Press to compress all down a bit.
4. Spread half of the salad dressing over the top and sprinkle with half of the seasoning mix.
5. Repeat layering with remaining lettuce, tomato (reserve some for garnish), bacon and dressing. Sprinkle top with remaining seasoning, reserved tomato and rest of toasted crutons.
6. Cover and refrigerate for a least 2 hours.
**Makes approximately 8 servings