I found this recipe in a magazine, tried it, loved it.....a real crowd pleaser.
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
1 cup flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbl maple syrup
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, plus a few whole nuts to use for garnish
1 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
6 tbl unsalted butter at room temperature
1 box ( 1 pound) confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. For cookie, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13x9 baking pan with non stick spray.
2. Cut butter into small pieces, work into flour by hand or pastry cutter.
3. Pack evenly into baking pan and bake for 15 minutes. Cool.
4. For filling, in large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until combined. Stir in vanilla, maple syrup, nuts and coconut.
5. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder, then fold into egg mixture.
6. Spread evenly over cooled cookie base.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool.
8. For frosting, cream butter until soft, then gradually add half of the sugar.
9. Beat in 2 tbls cream and all of the vanilla.
10. Gradually blend in remaining sugar and enough cream for a cood consistantly. Frost and let set for 30 minutes.
11. To serve, cut into 48 squares and top each with nut.