This is actually my favorite eggplant recipe...it always turns out great.
4 cups (1 quart) meat sauce
1 large eggplant (about 1 & 1/2 pounds)
2 eggs-slightly beaten
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 & 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup salad oil
1 pkg (8 ounce) mozzarella diced
1 tbl butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease 13 x 9 x2 pan.
2. Over meat heat, bring sauce to boil, remove and keep warm.
3. Wash eggplant-don't peel. Cut crosswise into 1/2 " slices.
4. In pie plate, combine eggs and 1 tbl butter and mix well.
5. On sheet of wax paper, combine breadcrumbs with 1/2 cup of the parmesan..mix well.
6. Dip eggplant slices into egg mixture, and coat well.
7. Saute eggplant slices a few at a time, in 1 tbl hot oil until golden brown and crisp on both sides.
8. Arrange half of the eggplant on bottom of prepared pan and sprinkle with half of the remaining parmesan cheese, and top with half of the mozzarella and half of the meat sauce.
9. Arrange the remaing eggplant over meatsauce...cover with rest of the meat sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
10. Bake uncovered 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.