These are great anytime and a fun substitute for caramel candy apples.
1 box (18.5 ounce) golden butter cake mix
2/3 cup unsweeted applesauce
2 tsp ground cinnamon
24 individually wrapped caramels (unwrapped)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
2. Prepare cake mix according to box directions, substituting the applesauce for the water and beating in the cinnamon.
3. Spoon into the lined cups and gently press a caramal on top of each cup (the caramel will sink to the bottom while baking).
4. Bake 20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean.
5. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.