This is a great dish for a large crowd (14-16 servings), or cut it down for the family.
8 cups chopped fresh broccoli
1 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 3 quart baking dish.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, saute broccoli and onion in buttere until crisp tender, about 5 minutes, then set aside.
3. In medium bowl, beat eggs, then add cream and 1 & 3/4 cups of the cheese...mixing well.
4. Stir in the broccoli mixture, salt and pepper.
5. Pour into prepared baking dish, then set pan in a larger pan filled with 1 inch of hot water.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and let stand 10 minutes before serving.