This is really easy, but is always an impressive presentation at your table.
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 can (20 ounce) pineapple slices, drained
9 or 10 maraschino cherries
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup shortening
1 & 1/2 cup tsp vanilla
2 & 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray large 12" baking dish with non stick spray.
2. In pan over low heat, combine brown sugar and butter, and cook till bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour evenly into prepared pan.
3. Arrange pineapple slices and cherries in the sugar mixture.
4. In a mixing bowl, cream together the granulated sugar and the shortening till fluffy.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla.
6. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt, then add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition.
7. Pour batter over fruit in baking dish.
8. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes...then invert cake onto platter. Serve with whipped cream.