I remember my Great Grandmother making these cookies every Christmas...she usually had to make them twice, because everybody gobbled them down as soon as they came out of the oven.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar-packed well
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tbl hot water
1 tsp vanilla
1 & 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1. In bowl- cream butter, brown sugar and egg.
2. Combine baking soda and water, add to creamed mixture.
3. Add flour and mix well.
4. Shape into walnut size balls and place on greased baking sheets.
5. Flatten each ball with a fork dipped in water, then sprinkle each with granulated sugar (for Christmas, use red/green decorator sugar).
6. Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or unitl edges begin to brown. Cool on waxed paper.