This dish is a nice change from other side dishes. The taste is unique and usually run out quickly. If you like fried green tomatoes, you'll like this downhome dish.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried basil or 2 tbl fresh minced
1 can (28 ounce can) tomatoes, drained
1 tbl finely minced onion
1 tbl minced fresh parsley
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Vegetable oil for frying
1. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, & basil.
2. Cut tomatoes into 1/2 pieces, and place on paper towels to drain excess moisture.
3. Add tomatoes, onion, parsley, and Worcestershire to flour mixture...Don't mix in.
4. In smaller bowl, beat eggs and add to flour/tomato mixture. Blend lightly with fork.
5. In electric skillet, heat 1/4 " oil to 360 degrees. Oil is ready when small drop of batter sizzles when placed in skillet.
6. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls, patting down flatter, with fork.
7. Fry until golden brown on one side, then turn and fry other side.
8. Keep fritters warm in oven until ready to serve. Make 4 to 6 servings.