Mashed potatoes are a comfort food, like pasta, for me. I never met a mashed potato I didn't like. This recipe also has another favorite, cheese, in it for good measure. I'm sure you'll enjoy.
2 & 1/2 baking potatoes, peeled & quartered
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 stick (4 tbl) butter
1/2 cup milk, heated
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 cup (3 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped scallions (plus some extra for garnish)
1. Boil potatoes in large pot with enough water to cover, for 15 to 20 minutes, until soft when pierced with fork. Drain, then return to pot.
2.Mash potatoes with mixer, add sour cream, butter, hot milk,salt, and pepper.Beat until blended and smooth.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese and the chopped scallions.
5. Spoon potato mixture into 1 & 1/2 quart shallow baking dish. Cover tightly with foil.
6. Bake 25 minutes, or until hot. Uncover, sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake just until cheese melts. Sprinkle with the extra scallions.
**6 servings**You can make this a day ahead up through step 5. Refrigerate covered, then reheat, covered at 350 degrees, then finish with step 6