Whenever I buy or make a cake....I always have to have buttercream frosting on it. I'm not a whipped cream girl. This is great basic buttercream frosting recipe that never lets me down.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (16 ounce package powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended.
3. Increase speed to medium and gradually add milk and vanilla...beating until smooth.
For chocolate buttercream:
1. Make the recipe for the buttercream recipe above.
2. Place 6 ounces dark chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl and melt in microwave
1 & 1/2 to 2 minutes ...take out and stir every 30 seconds until smooth.
3. Slowly add melted chocolate to buttercream frosting, beat until smooth.
**Note: You can leave out the vanilla from the recipe and use your favorite liqueor (mine