This rice dish goes well with so much. Rice can be a little bland, but you really can kick up its flavor by putting different things in it.
4 slices bacon
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic-finely chopped
1 cup rice cooked
2 cups canned tomatoes
1 & 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup grated favorite cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, pepper jack)
1. Fry bacon in larger frying pan, remove to cool.
2. To bacon fat, add the onion, green pepper, and garlic. Cook until onion is yellow...DO NOT allow garlic to burn (burnt garlic has a bitter taste).
3. Add to frying pan, the rice, the tomatoes, and salt...cook until heated through. 5-7 minutes
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 1 & 1/2 quart baking dish.
5. Cut up bacon and put in bottom of baking dish. Spoon mixture from frying pan into baking dish.
6. Sprinkle cheese over top and bake 25 to 30 minutes. 4 to 6 servings
**for extra kick, can add a small can of green chilies (drained), finely chopped