I got this recipe from my Mother's recipe box, under the heading of 'GOOD & EASY'. And that is exactly what it is.
1 package devils food cake mix
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond extract (optional)
1 cup granulated sugar
5 tbl butter
1/3 cup milk
6 ounces chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan.
2. Combine the cake mix, cherry pie filling, extract, and beaten eggs.
3. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove cake and while cake is still warm make frosting.
4. Combine granulated sugar, butter, and milk in small saucepan, bring to just boiling and stir constantly for 1 minute, add chocolate chips and stir unitl smooth.
5. Remove from heat and immediately pour over cake.