This dish has many forms, but I prefer the basic recipe. The saffron makes this dish, and all though it can be pricey, you only need a small amount, and it's worth it.
1 (3 -2 & 1/2) pound chicken
3 cloves garlic
1 & 1/2 cup long grain rice
2 carrots-peeled, trimmed & sliced crossway
3 ribs celery chopped
'pinch' of saffron threads
4 scallions, sliced thin
fresh ground pepper
1. Put chicken, garlic, 8 cups cold water and a generous pinch of salt in a large pot and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to medium mow-cover-and simmer until chicken is tender(about 1 hour).
2. Remove chicken and set aside.
3. Strain chicken broth in large bowl, and discard solids...wipe out pot.
4. Return chicken broth to cleaned pot, and add rice carrots, celery, and saffron....bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to medium and cook uncovered. Stir occassionally until rice is tender (about 15 minutes).
5. When chicken is cool enough to handle-peel off skin and remove meat from bones in large pieces.
6. Add chicken and scallions to pot with rice. Season to taste and cook until chicken is just heated through-about 5 minutes.