Great dish to put together at the last minute...very easy...very good.
1 package (1 pound) mild ground pork sausage
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
4 cans (16 oz ea) pinto beans...rinsed and drained
1 can (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 tsp salt
1 pkg (8 oz) shredded 4 cheese blend
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup self rising white cornmeal cornbread mix
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease 13x9 baking dish
2. Brown sausage in large skillet, crumbling, until all pink is gone.
3. Add onion and green pepper, saute 3 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
4. Stir in beans, tomatoes and salt. Pour all into baking dish, sprinkle with 1 & 1/2 cup of the cheese.
5. Stir together the butteremilk and cronmeal mix, and spoon over the cheese. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese....bake 25-30 minutes or intil browned.