This is a really good casserole for a cool autumn day.
1 pound pkg of mild ground pork sausages
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chop green bell pepper
4 cans (16 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg (8 ounces) shredded four cheese blend
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup self rising white cornmeal mix
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease a 13x9 baking dish.
2. Brown sausage in large skillet for about 7 minutes until sausage crumbles and is not pink.
3. Add onion and green pepper, and saute about 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender, then drain.
4. Stir in beans, tomatoes, and salt....then pour into prepared baking dish.
5. Sprinkle with 1 & 1/2 cup of the cheese.
6. Stir together the buttermilk and cornmeal mix, then spoon over the cheese layer. Then sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
7. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until browned.