This is a very good side dish, that is enhanced by the cheddar cheese and buttery crackers.
3 pounds yellow squash, sliced
5 tbl butter or margarine, divided
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup (4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
20 round buttery crackers, crushed (about 3/4 cup)
1. Cook squash in boiling water to cover in large skillet 8 - 10 minutes or just until tender.
2. Drain well, gently press between paper towels.
3. Melt 4 tbl butter in skillet over medium high heat, add onion, and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Remove skillet from heat and stir in squash, cheese, and next 4 ingredients.
4. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11x7 baking dish.
5. Melt remaining 1 tbl butter. Stir together with crushed crackers and sprinkle evenly over top of casserole.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until set.