This side dish reminds me of polenta and it's very tasty.
2 cups water
2 tbl butter
1 tsp salt
3 & 1/2 cup whole milk
1 & 1/4 cup quick cooking grits
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese(2 cups) shredded
5 large eggs
1 tbl hot sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 3 qt. ceramic casserole.
2. In 3 qt saucepan, combine water, butter, salt and 1 & 1/2 cup of the milk. Heat to boiling over medium high heat. Gradually stir in grits, whisking to prevent lumping.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes...stirring often.
4. Stir in cheese.
5. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and 1 tbl hot sauce (optional) and 2 cups of milk until blended.
6. Gradually whisk grits in until blended.
7. Pour into prepared casserole and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean
****approximately 12 servings