This is a great crowd pleaser, very tasty. Serve it in the pan you bake in.
1 pkg (18.5 oz) butter recipe yellow cake mix
1 jar (16 oz) maraschino cherries with stems, drained and patted dry
2 cans (8 oz each) crushed pineapple in juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
1 container (12 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 13 x 9 baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, and pour into pan.
3. Discard stems from 3/4 cup of the cherries and chop them up. Sprinkle over the batter.
4. Bake 30 -35 minutes or until toothpick inserted come out clean.
5. While baking, in pot over medium heat, combine pineapple (with juice) with sugar and bring to boil. Them remove from heat and cool slightly.
6. Poke holes all over hot cake with a toothpick, and spread pineapple mixture over cake, then cool completely.
7. Micowave coconut on high in 20 second intervals, stirring until browned, then cool.
8. Spread cake with topping, sprinkle with coconut, then garnish with reserved cherries.
**about 16 servings