This is a really good gingerbread recipe. It's easy to roll out and cut your favorite shapes to make great cookies for the holidays.
1 & 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 & 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbl shortening
3 tbl cold water
1. Stir flour, pie spice, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl.
2. Stir molasses, sugar, and shortening together in a large bowl. Then stir in water (mix may look curdled)
3. Stir flour mixture into molasses mixture.
4. Form into disk shape, then wrap in plastic, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
5. When ready to use, preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease cookie sheet(s)
6. Roll dough to 1/8 " thickness on a floured surface, use desired cutters, and place cookies on cookie sheet 2" apart.
7. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until set. Let stand 2 minutes and remove.
8. Cool completely before decorating.
***to make chocolate gingerbread, add 1/4 cup baking cocoa to flour mixture.