I have to admit, I really never made a point to try scones, but once I finally did, I was hooked. They're not super sweet, which is nice for a change...great with tea or coffee.
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 & 1/2 cups raisins (dried cranberries, blueberrys, chocolate chips are good too)
2 sticks margarine
1 cup milk
1 tbl milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in bowl.
3. Gradually mix in raisins so they are evenly distributed. Add margarine in small cubes and mix in with fingers or pastry blender until evenly blended.
4. Whisk together eggs and milk in small bowl. Gradually stir into flour mixture until dough forms...working dough with hands...but do not overwork.
5. Drop 1/2 cupfuls of dough onto 2 ungreased baking sheets.
6. For egg wash, beat together egg and milk and lightly brush each scone with wash.
7. Bake scones for 20 -23 minutes, or until lightly golden.
**makes 18 to 20