This is a great side dish that goes well with any meat. It is also a good stand alone dish for a veggie only meal.
2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2 " slices
2 large eggplants (about 2 pounds) cut into 1/2" slices
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
3/4 tsp dried basil
2 cloves garlic...finely chopped
1/2 cup half & half
1 & 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Place tomato slices on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and let stand about 20 minutes
to draw out as much liquid as possible.
2. Coat both sides of eggplant with non stick spray. Heat broiler.
3. Broil eggplant slices on baking sheet, also coated with non stick spray, for 5 minutes
on each side or until tender.
4. Turn broiler off, heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 2-3 quart baking dish with non
stick spray. Sprinkle the bottom of baking dish with the bread crumbs.
5. Arrange eggplant and tomato sllices (alternating) around the baking dish and in the
center (try and keep in single layer-can overlap a little)
6. Sprinkle top with basil, garlic and 1/4 tsp salt.
7. Drizzle with half and half, top with both cheeses, and cover with foil.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes...remove foil, and bake for another 10 minutes so
cheese is golden.