I tried this recipe for Thanksgiving instead of the traditional green bean casserole, and everyone loved it.
1 & 1/4 poind green beans, trimmed & snapped in half (about 6 cups)
2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
1 tbl butter
1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 large Portobello mushrooms, with the stems off-sliced (about 2 cups)
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup dry sherry
1. Bring pot of salted water to boil, add green beans and cook until just tender-about 7 minutes. Drain well.
2. In non stick skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion, cook...stirring occasionally until softened (2-3 minutes).
3. Add mushrooms, salt , & pepper...cook stirring until tender (3-5 minutes).
4. Add green beans, cook until heated through about 1 minute. Add sherry.
5. Cook until heated through for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to serving bowl...8 servings.